Friday, September 18, 2009

Is This Still True?

I was reading through the introduction of Grant Osborne's Revelation commentary (BECNT), when I came across this quote:

The definitive work on the use of the OT in the Apocalypse has yet to be written (2).

Osborne's commentary was published in 2002, and I am aware of Greg Beale's and Sean M. McDonough's contribution (pp. 1081-1161)in the Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (eds. Beale and Carson).

Is anyone aware of other works that attempt an overview of the OT in Revelation? More to the point is it even possible to write the definitive work of the OT in Revelation?

Osborne goes on to say:

Virtually every point made comes in some way via an OT allusion (2).

With that in mind, it seems to me that a definitive work in this area would almost have to ignore other concerns that commentaries in general seek to address, and stick solely to the OT backgrounds that Revelation seeks to engage.

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

danny said...

Hi Matthew. I suppose the truthfulness of Osborne's quote depends on how one defines "definitive." Beale (1999) and Moyise (95, I think) have both written monographs on the subject. Perhaps Osborne doesn't consider either "definitive."

Beale has also written on the use of Daniel, Mathewson on the OT in Rev 21-22, and Boxall on the use of Ezekiel. Not to mention, there are a whole host of articles that have been written. It's one of my favorite hobby subjects to study.