Tuesday, February 14, 2012

R.T. France Passes Away

R.T. France (1938-2012)
One of my favorite New Testament scholars and commentators, R.T. France has passed away. I am very saddened to hear this news.  His commentaries on Mark (NIGTC) and Matthew (NICNT) were two of my favorite commentaries. He was able to write with such clarity about complex matters. France was also a member of the Committee on Bible Translation for the NIV.

It's always sobering to think the impact that scholars can have on people like me whom they have never met. I only wish I could have told him how his work impacted me.

2 comments:

simon said...

Dick was my teacher at London Bible College and he was every bit as good in the classroom as his writing suggests he would be. A true gentleman scholar.
My brief tribute to him is at http://bromleyboy.blogspot.com/2012/02/remembering-my-teacher-dick-france.html

Matthew D. Montonini said...

Simon-

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. It must have been a real honor to sit at his feet and learn.

BTW- Do you know of any audio resources, lectures, etc., that he may have had recorded?

Blessings-

Matthew