Friday, February 18, 2011

Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry & Writings

When I think of IVP Academic, the first thing that always comes to mind is their "Black" dictionaries. Technically, they are referred to as The IVP Bible Dictionary Series. These are quite simply my favorite reference books on my shelf.

It is with little wonder then, that the latest (as of 2009), the Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry & Writings, continues this familiar trend of excellence, both with the selection of its contributors, 92 in all, including such luminaries as Scot McKnight, David deSilva, James Hamilton, Daniel Block, John Goldingay, John Hartley, Tremper Longman, Marvin Sweeney, and John Walton to name but a few, and the judicious, yet wide-ranging selection of essay entries 142 total, ranging from what one would assume to find on the individual books (Proverbs, Psalms, Ecclesisates, etc.) to providing less obvious subjects such as "Animal Imagery", "Honor and Shame", "Floral Imagery","Imprisonment Imagery", Architectural Imagery", "Time", and "Remembrance" . I have personally found James Hamilton's entry on "Theophany" to be of immense help as I prepare my own contribution for a dictionary.

I will have more to say about this excellent work in the coming weeks, but for now, I will leave you with this. The final volume in the OT series on the Prophets, entitled Dictionary of the Old Testament: Prophetic Books, should be due out at the turn of the next year. I'm hoping somehow it will be bumped forward in time for Christmas, err,  SBL. I believe the two editors to be Mark Boda and J. Gordon McConville, two outstanding OT scholars in their own right.

No comments: