Friday, April 6, 2012

SBL Paper Accepted!

I am delighted to announce that my very first SBL paper proposal has been accepted by the Markan Literary Source Group! It is entitled, "Of Kings and Mark: A Case of Mimesis in the Second Gospel," where I explore the possibilities that Mark 5:21-43 has been crafted after the narrative found in 2 Kings 4:18-37. Since I had to submit the paper in full, I have yet to write an abstract, but when I do, I will post it on this blog. The inspiration began when I posted this blog entry here, and continued when I had the opportunity to read Adam Winn's recent work on the Elijah-Elisha cycle in Mark's Gospel.  Further encouragement came from Adam himself, who urged me to explore my post further and invited me to turn a paper into him concerning this matter.


I am excited, honored, and humbled to be presenting at SBL annual. It's kind of a nerdy dream come true, actually! And to think, it is being held in the city I have always wanted to visit. Here I come Chi-Town!

2 comments:

James F. McGrath said...

Congratulations!

Matthew D. Montonini said...

Thanks, James!

I hope to run into you this year! I haven't been to one since Boston (2009 or so).