Monday, December 31, 2007

Full Bibliographic Disclosure

It has been brought to my attention that I may have been carelessly citing my sources when I quote from books or articles. I usually do not cite the way I would in an academic paper for sake of brevity. Usually, my m.o. is to include the author, the title of the book, and the page #. This almost always includes a link to Amazon.com or the like, giving the reader full disclosure to the publisher, date, and so forth.

Sometimes in subsequent posts, I will merely provide the title of the book, again for brevity purposes. I may be accused of academic laziness, a charge I never want associated with my name. This is the first occasion where a reader has brought this to my attention, a respected academician no less, in whose opinion should be taken seriously.

I was curious if my other readers have been put off by my lack of full bibliographic data? I would like to rectify this problem, so what do you think?

BTW- Any posts I do for Caesar's Calendar should appear thus: Feeney, Denis. Caesar's Calendar: Ancient Time and the Beginnings of History. Sather Classical Lectures 65. Berkeley/Los Angeles/London: University of California Press, 2007.

2 comments:

Bryan L said...

I'm not put off by it and it doesn't bother me in the least. As long as I can tell where you're getting it from then I'm fine.

Allan R. Bevere said...

Matt:

Unless you are posting research papers, the name of the author and the title of the book are sufficient for a blog post (particularly if you link it to Amazon or some other online book store. If you are quoting from an article, you should include the name of the journal. It is simply a matter of giving due credit and enough information for the reader to find the book should s/he desire.